PHP-Mugbook web-based mugbook system
PHP-Mugbook is a PHP-based mugbook system, allowing an organization (such as a school, alumni association, church, or company) to set up a pictorial directory of the people at their organization. Each student/member/employee in your directory has a profile with photo, contact info, hobbies, current contact information, etc. Helps you learn the names and faces of your classmates (or team members, coworkers, etc.).
Try out the demo
To see this software in action, try out our demo site. Log in as "user" with password "password" to access the profile editor.
Download from SourceForge.
Visit our project on SourceForge.
Major features include:
- Forms to allow new users to create their user profile and existing users to update their profile. Required fields can be specified and the order / location of fields can be changed.
- Existing fields in people's profiles include:
- General fields: user type (for example, whether the user is an Undergraduate Student, Graduate Student, Faculty Member, etc.), gender, nationality, current career, job position, schedule / hours of availability
- Fun fields which help people to get to know each other on a more personal level: personality type, birthdate, marital/relationship status, who you are "attached to" (spouse, fiance, etc.) if that person is also a member of the directory, hobbies, favorite foods, favorite music, a personal/favorite quote/motto, hair color and other physical attributes
- Student-only fields: degree pursued, majors and minors, career they are pursuing, class standing
- Faculty/employee-only fields: department, degree (Ph.D., etc.)
- Contact information: addresses, phone numbers, e-mail addresses, IM accounts, when the best time to call is, web sites
- We will provide some way for new fields to easily be added to the database and bound to the profile page, search form, etc.
- Comprehensive administration console for changing site-wide settings and editing user profiles.
- Advanced search forms and searching capabilities.
- The "advanced search" form allows you to search by almost any one of (or combination of) the existing fields.
- Search results are listed by default as thumbnail of matching users with names underneath the thumbnails. Other formats for the search results are available. Additional formats can easily be created by the site administrator by creating a simple template.
- One can search for a whole list of names or ID numbers.
- "Today's birthdays" page
- Users can create and save lists of people and give them a name, such as "my friends".
- Fine-grained privacy/access-control options. Users can select the desired level of privacy/visibility for just about every individual field: So, for example, you could make sensitive info like your e-mail address or schedule information available only to those who have authenticated themselves (logged in) as existing members; and you could make all other profile information (like your name and photo) available to everybody on the Internet.
- The "random person search" takes you to a random person that perhaps you have never met before.
- Statistics pages: which hobbies are the most popular, etc.
- Create a printed directory too:
The data collected by users of the mugbook site can also easily be exported and used to create a printed mugbook. (The data is exported as comma/tab-delimited data files.) These "mugbooks" are very common at schools, but they also exist in the form of "church directories" at churches, and they could also be useful in a work environment as well. They provide a way for people at the school/organization to get to know each other and they build a sense of community.
- PHP 4 or later
- A database such as MySQL